Friday, July 08, 2005

Odyssey - Book 1 - Chapter iv - Texas

I feel like I am living on my car these days. This is my third trip in a months time. Also this trip made me miss my four of July's firework display, though I did get some respite from driving because of the presence of Rajesh in the car.
Starting out ...
Finally I have touched the Lone star state (Texas) that brings to 18 the number of states that I have driven through in the US of A ...

  1. Alabama
  2. Florida
  3. Georgia
  4. North Carolina
  5. South Carolina
  6. Virginia
  7. Tennessee
  8. Kentucky
  9. Illinois
  10. California
  11. Iowa
  12. Missouri
  13. Michigan
  14. Indiana
  15. Ohio
  16. Oklahoma
  17. Texas
  18. Minnesota
  19. Washington D.C
And I have only driven through 11 of the states in India
  1. Tamil Nadu
  2. Andhra Pradesh
  3. Kerala
  4. Karnataka
  5. Maharastra
  6. Goa
  7. Delhi (Union territory)
  8. Pondicherry (Union territory)
  9. Harayana
  10. Utter Pradesh
  11. Punjab
That leaves 32 more to go in the US of A and 24(including the Union Territories) in India. I know most of you wouldn't give a hoot about this list but heck I do need to keep track ;)

The trip started out pretty fine but we got stuck in traffic because of a car going up in flames on the way. I was probably 10 cars ahead of me. I have learnt my lesson about speeding the hard way(By way of innumerable tickets) but I am thankful that I didn't have to learn it by way of my car going up in smoke.

The highlight of the trip was not just three school friends meeting together after a gap of three years but also the voracious eating habits of the same!! Like manna from heaven is good home cooked food to a couple of bachelors, given to us courtesy of my worstest enemy (jk) in the world Sapna. One thing I must add is that marriage does make the girls cook better. The whole weekend was spent by us just eating our hearts out, we did get to see a little bit of Texas but mostly it was about food. We guys are just fascinated over food more than girls I guess ... oops don't want the girls to think that though. I think I need to start a separate blog about my search for the perfect Briyani (Only my favorite food in the whole entire universe)

One lesson that I learnt on the trip is that no matter how tough you think you are the body tends to disagree. Inspite of not having proper sleep and spending the better part of two days driving, I decided to go swimming at a stream in Austin. For which I had to pay by vomiting and telling the lifeguard that it was because of the partying the previous night (Atleast that's what he assumed 'cause I wasn't in a shape to contradict him).

I would also like to give a shout out to the state of Oklahoma for having a speed limit of 75 Miles ... are the other states listening. If all the other states had this speed limit I would have saved myself a few speeding tickets!

All said and down it was a fun time meeting old and close friends. Of all the things I have in the world, the most precious are my friends! (I know that statement made your eyes misty ... It was supposed to ...)

In front of the Texas Longhorn stadium.
Rajesh
Me
Karim
Hussain

5 comments:

Guru said...

adangunkada deyyyyyyy...

NoViCe said...

Can't help it da ;)

Guru said...

uncontrollable know???

Guru said...

is that ur car man?

NoViCe said...

Yup thats my baby