Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The castist Church!

I know its been some time since I have ruffled some feathers. So here I go again.

It all started out because of this issue called "marriage", and when it was determined that I like my peers had attained the marriageable age, the proposals have started pouring in putting me on the defensive.

These proposals have added a new word to my lingo, "caste" (I am a nadar if you must know) which has never been a part of the my conversational jargon, suddenly finds itself in preeminent position.

The fact of the matter is that there is a can of worms waiting to explode in the church in India, atleast the ones that the generational Christians belong to. It has always been a open secret that caste has always factored in the church inspite of no theological grounds for differentiation between people.

Some may argue that the denominational split in the Christian church gives some leeway for castism to be practiced within the church. Some other appeasers of castism use the example of the tribes of Israel, which cannot but be called asinine.

Before I get ahead of myself, for the uninformed the connection between my proposals and caste is that in India, its not just enough to have the same belief system (as in religion) but you need to be part of the same 'caste' or social system. Theoretically Christians and Muslims don't have the caste system. Which has prompted various 'lower caste' people to convert to Christianity, Islam and Buddhism.

The fun part of it is that the generational Christians have always been following the caste system specially when it comes to marriage and such. I can't speak for Islam or Buddhism but the non-castist nature of Indian Christianity is a farce.

So why this sudden outburst from your's truly? Because I just snapped, because I just want to make a stand, because I am crazy and most importantly because the God I know does not differentiate. And if he does not differentiate who am I to do so (Romans 14:4)?

I cannot stress enough the negative and demoralising effect of castism in general, but to have it as part of my creed just makes my blood boil. Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it ... and the Indian Christians haven't learnt anything from their western counterparts. I know it would be hard to wipe away, people being people, but looks like there is nobody ready to tackle the issue head on. What about me? me ... I am nobody, I can't even convince some of my own close relatives of the oxymoronic nature of a Christian caste system! So I do what I do best write about it and hope I can break down a few walls in the process.

I definitely have some earfuls coming my way for this post, but then again I got a thick skin and it is always funny to watch people defend something that is indefensible.

Those to whom arranged marriages seem incomprehensible, this additional castist corollary would only add to the mystery.

So here it is the gist of the whole post, castism has no place in Christianity ... for that matter no place anywhere else.

This is a call to arms against dowry and castism. Somebody has to so its gonna start with me!

“I have no color prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse.” - Mark Twain

“Ideas are fatal to caste” - E.M Forster

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written, sir. I'm proud of your stand!

Hermit said...

Atta Boy..Keep growing..Salvation Army came to India and had to face the same prejudice that you are talking about when they initially preached the gospel in South India..My great grandfather was kicked out of his house (traditional Jacobite family) for living and eating with the "untouchables" of his times..He gladly walked out of his house for his convictions and the truth he believed in..It is the same today..Every generation searches for the inconsistencies, contradictions of the past generation and tries to correct the mistakes from the past..Just like Sin..Through One Person's fault, Sin came into this world and so we blamed God for the mistake..Well, He came with the solution..Sent his Only Begotten Son to pay the price, because He so loved us..Well, what do we do? We still haven't come any closer to Him in our walk of faith..We like to see love in action..love your neighbor as yourself..You can do that only if you agree that God is impartial and is color, race and creed blind..He has not favorites..All of us are His Children..To them who are called by His name, He gave them the right to call, ABBA, Father..Now tell me who is your Daddy??? GOD or the DEVIL..Love comes from GOD, HATRED from the DEVIL..He has been the deceiver and that has not changed, has it? Who do you want to believe? I guess we are like cats (very independent) and just won't believe in the story of human existence..Like how the snake tricked eve...coz, it is hard to imagine a snake speaking to the EVE..But then what is Faith? Believing in things not seen or believing in things that you see...Decide if you want to live by God's standards or man made standards..The message of the Gospel is very plain and simple..I hope we get the message before it is too late..Remember Noah's Flood..No one believed Him..Now who wants to believe in Armageddon...You got a choice? Exercise it..Do it the right way..

Anonymous said...

AN article very well written. I am really proud of u chotu. No religion advocate castism. People seem to have nurtured the parasite. I am not sure if the educated and the learnt would understand this at all !!

NoViCe said...

Come on weren't you proud of me before this ;) ... The educated seem to have compunded the issue :) ... glad you stopped by!!