Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Other side of town

Some call it the seedier parts or red light districts, call it what you may its the "oldest profession" on earth. I have often wondered what makes people in this day and age to get into that profession, and then it hits me, its all about surviving. All my life I have heard people talk about the ladies in "the profession" as though they were the devil incarnate himself. Coming from a conservative society which even frowns upon girls wearing skirts it was easy for me to get the same prejudice. I was ideologically joined with the hypocrites to look down upon women in the flesh trade thinking I was better than them. Being a Christian didn't matter, the Christians (me included) could talk about the Love of Jesus but not practice it. We talked about forgiveness and how we all have sinned but we were all too happy pointing fingers and still do.

What brought me to my senses were news reports like this. And its not a problem just in some third world country but shockingly even in the USA and Israel. You might ask what demented mind could think of such things ... the answer is you and me. It is said that for evil to succeeded good men have to do nothing. By our indifference and prejudice we help in the exploitation of these women.

What can we do about it? Knowledge is power, most of the women exploited have no formal education. Hence we must make education a priority. In developed countries which already have the education needs taken care of we need a change in the attitude of society. We need to treat them as equals.

Some more news on this ...
India

USA - Mexico
Eastern Europe

Southeast Asia

The news that made me think about this is the closure of dance clubs in Maharastra a state in India. I am not patron of such places, but I do not think that the governed has any right to ban it specially using the excuse of "to protect our culture" and "to safe guard the morality of the youth". The story of some of these women would melt anyone's heart. And these are not even in prostitution which is illegal in most parts of India.

You are free to say what you think on it ...

"Judge not that you be not judged, for with what judgment you judge, you will also be judged"
- Matt 7:1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes sense!!!
"All failures - neurotics, psychotics, criminals, drunkards, problem children, suicides, perverts, and prostitutes - are failures because they are lacking in social interest"

Alfred Adler quotes (Austrian psychiatrist whose influential system of individual psychology introduced the term inferiority feeling, later widely and often inaccurately called inferiority complex, 1870-1937)

NoViCe said...

I wouldn't add problem children and prostitutes to that list!